Recipe derived from the wonderful and amazing Giada, found here
Things to make it delicious:
- 1½ cups cake flour (I used regular flour)
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) butter, room temperature, plus more to grease the baking pan
- 1½ cups whole milk ricotta cheese (Whatever I had left over in the ricotta container)
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 orange, zested
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with butter. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to blend.
Using a mixer, cream the butter, ricotta and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. With the machine running, add the eggs 1 at a time. Add the vanilla, orange zest and amaretto until combined. Add the dry ingredients, a small amount at a time, until just incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
* I baked it for about 45 minutes but I covered it with foil after 30. The top was a nice brown color and it was not about to be dry.
Slice up and enjoy!